PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prospects for the budding pilot with responsibilities.
Old 25th Mar 2016, 15:06
holding4release

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keeping your head out of the clouds; when that's where you want your head to be...

I don' get a chance to check on here very often and kind of assumed my post had died on it's feet after the first few days.

What I love about this Forum is the wealth of knowledge and experience from professionals that care to read a long guffing post from a mere wannabe like me. So thank you to everyone who did just that when they probably had better things to do!

I found all input very helpful as it's good to be realistic when making potentially reckless decisions.

I completely agree with @average-punter about not just relying on technical ability in order to land a job as I've said on another thread before. In the Agricultural industry today it's all about showing your responsibility for the business you work for because margins are so tight. Even as the guy on a tractor you need to be aware of what actions make money and which ones loose money. I've taken that with me. In addition I can't think of a job I've done where teamwork, task management and clear responsibilities haven't been vital so if nothing else I've got that going for me.

Reading everyone's posts has only compounded my thinking that I need to take my training one step at a time, add as much variation as possible and enjoy each step for what it is. I ultimately want to fly and I count myself fortunate that (with some saving) this is a possibility for me. Being paid to do it every day of my life will be a bonus! I take on board the FI option as I think that would suit me well!

I have a question for @Syntax Error...

Expect first job to be outside the UK, and you will need to commute unless you bring your family with you.
...don't most airlines require you to live within 90 minutes of your base or is that only while on standby?

As for James G I'm not sure what he said to ruffle feathers but I've appreciated his input as much as any. I'm aware of his experience level and position and so I can take is advice as such. It's good to have someone in a similar situation to relate to. I would hope in a cockpit emergency the Cpt would take a good idea if he saw it, regardless of the experience level of the person delivering it? (perhaps i'll learn different when I do mcc ).

Finally @ Dct_Bombi

I am most definately crawling back to my couch now

Please don't stay on the couch for too long! These places can be painful sometimes but remember it's often the silent readers that benefit the most. I'm certainly grateful you took the time!