PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B-738 Crash in Russia Rostov-on-Don
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2016, 15:06
aox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 737er
If their rumored rosters are correct then I think fatigue will also be a serious factor on this one especially considering how their day way going. Lots of stuff going on when you are holding for bad weather and getting close to bingo fuel. Like someone else posted, math you can normally do in your head all of a sudden requires a calculator and tests show it has as a serious effect as being drunk. Reflexes slow. Instrument scan slows markedly. Stuff you do almost reflexively when well rested requires pause and much extra thought. Fighting off tunnel vision becomes a personal war.
Indeed. To some extent someone can realise their performance is dropping off, though not necessarily quite how much. And then what can they do about it?

A couple of pages ago someone said it was simply not professional to fail to find ways to avoid this.

I thought that was a bit unsympathetic. I replied, a bit long-windedly, to the effect that whilst a car driver can stop at the next rest area, that can hardly be suggested as an option for pilots.

My post has been removed, but I still wonder what that person was thinking of. There was something about possible adrenaline rush keeping people alert for a while, but without corresponding mention of detrimental effects as it wears off.