PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helmets - Should you? and Which?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2003, 03:08
Galapagos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought a Gallet about 3 months ago.

Very comfortable and lightweight. Mic boom too long you have to curve it so it sits in front of your mouth and doesn't always stays in place. Love the visor system with the spring loaded exterior visor. Comes really low (if you want it too) and covers the entire opening of the helmet so there is no sun coming from the sides reflecting inside the visor (probably good too for stoping the wind if you're long lining with your head outside). Love the chin strap because it is comfortable and easy to clip in and out. Nice to have one visor inside the shell as it reduces the bulkiness of the helmet. Comes with a visor protector (finally!!!). Took a long time for them to figure out that we don't wear it to watch TV! Pricey to have the carbon fiber visor protector with the NVG mount (around $1000 CDN).

The story is... do I wear my helmet? NO! Because its LOUD IN THERE!!! I had to return it to the distributor (6 weeks and counting...) after trying to get use to it. It gave me headaches and felt so much more tiring after even a short flight. I tried the good old ear plugs (...as Boycie would say! :-) ) but just not practical when you fly with customers or in a crew environment to have the radios cranked all the way up (especially if the other pilot has a helmet without a volume control... of course!!!

The distributor sent it to France so the highly skilled engineer at MSA could try to figure out what is going on. Another pilot from our base got one at the same time I did and he returned it as well. They supposedly changed some foams and the earcups seals. We'll see if it does make a difference... suppose to get it back any day now. Will let you know.

I have a friend who owns one with the ANR and loves it so it seems like the way to go if you have an extra $1000 to spend... might have to do that if the modifications didn't improve the noise level.

For your information... I use to own a Gentex SPH-5 for 5 years. Not the best one out there but found that it was a good buy for your money. Only problems could be the bulkiness and weight. Especially for longlining when you have a weak neck!