PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B-738 Crash in Russia Rostov-on-Don
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2016, 13:48
de facto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And to nail my views to the door of the cathedral (as it were), nowhere does it say in my manual that WS system disables the altitude capture. And why should it? You are supposed to dial in the MA altitude, which should take MSA into account. And you don't want to fly up into an upper airway that might be very busy, so why bust that preset altitude? I have done this several times, and I am sure on each occasion altitude was captured.
Silverstate,
Quite a good post,however,the view that acquiring an altitude for ATC while in an active windshear is more important due to traffic than climbing away from the windshear is worrying to say the least.
The same philosophy when pilots brief they will follow the sid instead od eosid due to dense traffic.
In both cases,one option is vital,safely climbing out of windshear and the other staying within a demonstrated track clear of obstacles.
You advise ATC in both cases,,part of basic CRM and airmanship.
Now,having flown more than 10000 as PIC in the 737NG,i have yet to fly myself into an actual windshear...not a predictive one,,,an actual
one,(TS induced).GPWS warning,not PWS alert.
You have flown into 3 already?maybe one should better use of its radar...
Going around, out of light windshear (gusty,terrain induced) isnt the same as in a downdraft/updraft...one you go out nearly instantaniously out if it...the other in which i hope you have never been to,is a whole different story....
I have contacted boeing about the subject,as their FCOM/Tech docs do not specify the fd in that exact scenario.
I believe that such fd guidance during a GPWS windshear warning would be a major flaw and should be addressed.
Again,traffic in a situation like is would be the last of my worries....aircraft around do have Tcas for traffic issue as yours would be inhibited by the system anyways,clever no?
I will ,even if told otherwise,post for all to know the answer provided by Boeing,in the meanwhile however,using sim reaction to make a system truth is light to say the least.
I believe PPRuners have discussed in lengh simulators fidelity issues in the past,they are as accurate as the software used...

Last edited by de facto; 24th Mar 2016 at 14:12.