PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sea Survival Training — Still Taught to RAF Aircrew?
Old 24th Mar 2016, 06:45
Old-Duffer

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
TTN was less lucky than myself at Kai Tak. I actually helped teach drills to Cathay Pacific aircrew and hence was involved when we took them to sea for the day. After the serious business was concluded, the ladies remained in the sun in their swimsuits and we had a jolly good lunch in the boats courtesy of CPA.

I also played the 'mad passenger' during the evacuation drills. This was done when a Convair 880 was due a deep maintenance at HKAECO and hence all the slides etc had to be removed and 'pulled'. I had to sit waiting and then suddenly jump up and rush about shouting and when I got to the door had to try to push back inside and be a general nuisance - not hard you might say!

At Mountbatten in May 1966 I was on the sea survival course when Master Pilot Howarth died in the water. Lots of shortcomings identified after that. The best bit about the single seat drills was that the dinghy pack for those on rotary wing aircraft was worn as a backpack and with a bit of practice, it could be unclipped and brought round to the chest almost before one had hit the water - I never did get it to 'pop' the right way up though.

Old Duffer