PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna missing off Byron
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2016, 04:03
colebertos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The funny thing about mental illness is that contrary to common belief it is just as physical of a problem as a mental one. As someone who once suffered from depression I had to fight the stigma that was 'He's just sad'.

Slowly the world appears to be opening their eyes to the causes and consequences of mental illness. The aviation industry desperately needs procedures put in place to deal with it; support networks, better education within the community as to the signs people display, and avenues for personnel to seek help in a safe and secure manner.

As a male my experience tells me that the struggle is somewhat harder, we feel shame, our pride and masculinity make us feel like we can't seek help. It will get to the point where you hit rock bottom, and from that point you make the decision to either end your life of seek help, we need to teach people to seek help before it reaches this point, as well as providing places for people to seek help.

As a survivor of depression and someone who hasn't shown any symptoms in the past 3 years, I find myself being able to pick those struggling in a crowd full of people, I don't believe it should be so difficult for others to start paying attention and learning what to look for.