PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA911 G-APFE Mt. Fuji crash
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2016, 18:32
blind pew

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
India 4 2... 100% behind your post.
My first experience with wave over the Alps heading South when I was extremely wet behind the ears...I went out to answer the call of nature and when I sat back down noticed the speed was low...added a touch of power and looked at the Doppler map and my nav log...next second over speed alarm went off - only time I heard it on the Trident (but not so on the DC9 with ex Luftwaffe starfighter guys).. I yanked open the airbrakes as per our SOP...complete over kill...supposed risk of tuck under.

Only used the Turb mode on the DC10 with one of those "heros" one occasionally get who dispite Shannon warning us that everyone else had descended below FL300 on the Nat Tracks we had to go through it cause the yanks are whoosies...

Hit the button which disconnected the auto throttle and the FD went into pitch attitude hold mode...both "sir" and engines kept switching the A/T back on...didn't even understand the basics.

The glider I got knocked out was a Phoebus C built by one of the Atafliegs...stress loaded to 12G and the first production glass glider..42:1 which flew the first 300km flight in the UK.
Sadly some of the modern microlight gliders aren't so well built as was at Coupe Icare when one folded and lost a very good mate ex French and American carriers when he had a wing fold near Gap.