PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B-738 Crash in Russia Rostov-on-Don
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2016, 17:19
Notwhatihadplanned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quite right old chap.

Here's an accurate one
"As the airplane transits the windshear condition, the F/D programming reverses. As climb rate increases above approximately +600 fpm, the F/D commands pitch attitudes which result in acceleration back to the target speed."

I think that means go on your way, you are free to select another mode and good luck, since a second reactive wind shear alert would be unlikely unless you exited it and levelled off quickly. But I can't be sure because I don't have a reference.

The big question then would be, if you encounter wind shear in level flight what would happen? Surely you can't climb away from the mcp altitude?!?!?

I suppose it does raise the point that I've been trying so hard to resist, I wouldn't even begin to relate it to this tragedy..... But in general in airlines these days, where is the airmanship? We all have the same words in the same books (or at least similar) but where we sit as individuals between what the book says and what the book means is diverse. I agree that the tech quiz puts undue emphasis in what the book says and in general, the understanding of the systems is left behind.... This may be because the cost of the instructor is too great to justify a classroom, but I suspect the disease has been set for so long that the general standard of instruction has become so poor that it is pretty much PowerPoint reading these days.

Anyway who am I to cast aspersions in any direction, I too am guilty of an occasional lapse!

Cheers
Nwihp