PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B-738 Crash in Russia Rostov-on-Don
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2016, 14:23
PBY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vortex Thing,
you are saying that LVP approaches in FDB are manually flown to the ground.
That is the extremely easy hand flying, as you are strictly following FDs.
So based on your reply, I think the crew do not practice efficient scanning, which can happen only in hand flying without FDs. Are we really professional people here, if we cannot distinguish there is a huge difference in the work load and skill if flying with or without FDs? I can teach 8 years old in 10 minutes in the sim to hand fly LVP all the way to the ground. But again, it takes 45 min of hard training to make a captain learn how to intercept an ILS and fly it to minimums.
As this skill is forgotten quickly, if not practised. From your quote is apparent that FDB is yet another airline where people do not practise scan.
And if I understand de facto correctly, in a go around on the Boeing is very easy to overcontrol and make the FDs crazy and consequently not being able to get it under control, unless you have the ability to see through them and choose a pitch and power. On Airbus the FDs dissapear, if you pitch more than 20 degrees, so you are instantly without a guidance of FDs. I am not sure if Boeing lets you in the dark too in this way. And yes. Having a good scanning ability is important. Can any experienced guy confirm, what I am talking about?