PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blood pressure limits and airlines (Ryanair etc.)
Old 23rd Mar 2016, 13:28
Radgirl

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Before this goes into another attack on drugs, I presume the poster is relatively young, so the risk of hypertension - just what we call high blood pressure - is low

It is always a good idea if someone says your blood pressure is high to get your own machine. In europe those made by Omron are considered reliable - so are many others, and if you buy from a chemist rather than a Chinese website you should be OK. Buy the cheapest as more expensive models just have unnecessary extras like a memory. Take your blood pressure at different times and write down the result, the time and what you are doing!!!

Yes we all know astronauts can get their pressure up on launch as does shouting at your husband, sex and running a marathon, but all we are interested in is the LOWEST at rest on a good day. If the diastolic (lower number) is less than 80 you have no issues. If it is in the 80s and you are 'middle aged' OK

If it is higher, you should indeed ask your doctor WHY and he will exclude all sorts of rare causes. Most people will not have a rare cause so doctors call it essential hypertension (high blood pressure with no specific cause, due to hardening of the arteries)

I wont prolong this post with treatment (lose weight, less salt, exercise and then drugs) but I doubt an airline will not accept a regulator's standards. So Niko, you seem to have proven you DONT have high blood pressure from your 'average' readings. I would stop worrying before it does go up