PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow S76 Ditched in Nigeria today Feb 3 2016
Old 23rd Mar 2016, 10:58
Copterline 103

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@gulliBell
I've never done a pre-flight FDR/CVR test before, didn't even know it was something that needed to be tested. I just assumed FDR/CVR was one of those optional things that you didn't need in a helicopter < 5700kg MTOW.

I just checked the MMEL, sure enough, FDR is Cat A for some classes of operation....
Do you have or do you have had a S76 type rating? Are you familiar with Penny & Gils FDR/CVR?

My understanding is that EASA and FAA requires FDR/CVR to be installed all twin engine helicopters where the helicopter's type certificate has the approved passenger seats to be ten or more. This is a mandatory safety equipment in the helicopter industry.

The modern offshore helicopters are equipped with HOMP (Helicopter Operation Monitoring Program) or with FDM (Helicopter Flight Data Monitoring) systems. This is a requirement of the customer (OGP).

Sikorsky has not sold any S76 helicopters since the last 20 years without FDR/CVR. The most likely they want to know how it happened, when the event has occurred.