PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Legacy Age 65 Retirements
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2016, 21:15
bafanguy

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
CSU_ Ram,

Changing the mandatory retirement age...or even proposing there shouldn't even be one is opening a real can o'worms here in the USA. Standby for heated incoming. :-)

I don't see raising the age as any practical solution to anything because we don't know how many 65+ y/o pilots could hold a Class 1 medical...or an intensified, modified version of it because of the increased age...or would even want to run that gauntlet. And physical standards are only part of the equation and may not be the more important part which would be MUCH harder to test and quantify.

The resulting numbers might be too small to help offset the alleged "shortage" and therefore just not worth the effort.

And... at some point, a person just might like to sit on the porch and watch you young hard chargers flail wildly in the roiling scrum. It took me a while but that's now what I prefer to being stuffed in the pointy end even under the best possible conditions (and they were the BEST possible circumstances). But, it took me a while.

Last edited by bafanguy; 22nd Mar 2016 at 21:47. Reason: Add wisdom...