PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blood pressure limits and airlines (Ryanair etc.)
Old 22nd Mar 2016, 16:48
_niko_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blood pressure limits and airlines (Ryanair etc.)

I'm going to finish my pilot studies soon. Today I did my first Medical 1 renewal and everything was okay and within limits. Only concern is my blood pressure even though it was within limits too. Today it was 150/90. I have BP monitor at home and during last two weeks I did measurements in the morning and in the evening. I got average of something like 125-130/80-85 which looks pretty okay to me. It seems like that I'm suffering from white coat syndrome but anyway I think that my bp is a bit elevated when compared to optimal.

After finishing studies I'm going to start job hunt and my question is the following. I know that the official Medical 1 limits are quite high 165/95 but is there more restrictive limits by the airlines in general or is it just enough to have valid Medical 1(bp below 165/95)? I have heard that some flag carrier airlines for example may have their own limits. Is that true? Are the airlines interested in seeing anything else than the valid Medical 1 certificate? Why I am asking this is that I just want to make sure that my BP levels are not going to be a problem when hunting my first job or job at all in the future. I have discussed this with my AME but for him it is just enough to get the levels below official limits. Now I need answers from the airlines perspective. What are the limits for example for Raynair? What is the airlines attitude against BP medication in general? Thanks!

Last edited by _niko_; 22nd Mar 2016 at 21:27.