PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - derated take off during Engine failure
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2016, 11:47
john_tullamarine

Received 108 Likes on 70 Posts
Good sir, my apologies if my meaning was obscure.

I was not expressing any concern with your previous post .. only emphasising my concurrence with your admonition to play with thrust levers .. gently. We appear to be in heated agreement, generally ..

.. is to consider what you might do, if using reduced thrust, when you find the a/c not accelerating or even sinking, or at any rate not climbing as you consider necessary? Who knows, an engine catastrophe might have prevented the gear retracting fully. What then to all your imperfect calculations?

d'accord. Certification is all well and good ... and generally works fine in practice .. but is a postulated animal. As you observe, the real world doesn't always read the rules .. and, sometimes, the Commander is called upon to earn his/her dollar for the day by exercising command prerogative.

Once again we are back to the level of education and depth of training. What I find disturbing is when asking cadets at FFS during TR courses: "what are VMCG & VMCA?" They might give you a perfect definition. Next question, "what do they mean in practical terms?" Often blank stares. You then move on to "what affects them; how can they change; how can you infringe them?" It is very sad to hear the silence.

.. isn't that the oft-observed truth .. ?

It is my view that the main value of Tech Log is the depth of experience and technical expertise collectively put by a significant proportion of posters .. the potential educational value is of the greatest importance, especially for the new chums. Knowing who some of those posters are, in their real worlds .. it amazes me just how great the knowledge base is within PPRuNe ..