PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working as a Pilot in China
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2016, 10:31
de facto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have worked in several parts of the world, and I recognize what you are saying Major.
I can also turn your statements upside down, and say that in those airlines I have worked, the expats always claim that the local guys can't fly, can't run an airline, and are basically worse in all aspects than the expats. Some expat nationalities are way "superior" than others. Other nationalities seem to fit in almost anywhere they go.
BTW, the SOP way of running airlines is alive and well in Europe too. Look at the LoCo P2F airlines where they detail when to set flaps, when to select gear down, and the way they treat those who do wrong.

Back to the book. There is a story about a captain who gets food poisoned. This is somehow blamed on the Chinese. This captain keeps flying several sectors while he pukes his guts out. I'm all for getting the job done, but he should have stood down after he filled the first barf bag. To continue was a bad decision.

The Chinese first officers are not allowed to do landings. Like it or not, that is the way it is. Yet, in the book, an expat captain allows a Chinese FO to land. This captain knows every flight is monitored. Still he lets the FO land, and when things go tits up (surprise!), he does not take command, but interferes with the controls and is surprised when the FO lets go of the controls. Nobody is on the throttles, and he nearly has a tail strike, and lands with 1.61 G.
Who is to blame? The Chinese FO who has hardly done any landings before, or the expat captain? A very bad decision by the captain.

Return to base when you encounter a CB? If the airway is closed due weather, and you are denied flying around it, what do you do? And if you divert and have the possibilty to bring the aircraft back to base or your point of departure, is that a bad decision?

Speaking of denied. Is it fair to say that denied diversions happens mostly when expats are flying? And the reason could be due to, say, an American who is asking for a diversion to a military or joint military/commercial airport?

I'm not saying everything is good in China (or SE Asia), but the picture is never just black or white.
ManaAdaSystem is offline Report Post
Well written!

Major Cleve,ever flown for a transport airline in china? I bet not.
And treating people differently due to race is not acceptable or tolerated in mist Western Countries.
Fantasy world you live in....go and have a beer with the local yanks in china and just listen..it is truely enlightening!