PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - derated take off during Engine failure
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2016, 10:28
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAT 5's comment should be read carefully by all as it is written in blood.

John: Firstly I respect your knowledge and have learnt from many of your previous discussion points. This comment sounds most ominous. I wonder if I have understood it correctly, or if others have understood my comments correctly.
I have not advocated a technique of increasing thrust, ON THE GROUND, after an engine failure. I have not advocated, willy nilly, increasing thrust once airborne. I have certainly not even hinted at stuffing the lever to full thrust. What I've asked in debate & conversation is to consider what you might do, if using reduced thrust, when you find the a/c not accelerating or even sinking, or at any rate not climbing as you consider necessary? Who knows, an engine catastrophe might have prevented the gear retracting fully. What then to all your imperfect calculations?
It is simply a debate about whether pilots should be taught it is NEVER allowed to gently and smoothly increase thrust, once airborne, to assist in solving a performance problem without creating another. Once you reach a thrust setting to satisfy your needs then leave it.
Once again we are back to the level of education and depth of training. What I find disturbing is when asking cadets at FFS during TR courses: "what are VMCG & VMCA?" They might give you a perfect definition. Next question, "what do they mean in practical terms?" Often blank stares. You then move on to "what affects them; how can they change; how can you infringe them?" It is very sad to hear the silence.

Last edited by RAT 5; 22nd Mar 2016 at 10:53.