PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Explosions at Brussels Airport
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2016, 10:27
Ogre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What was the quote? "The price of eternal vigilance is eternal vigilance"> There is an attack, the security levels go up, we all put up with it for a while then we get antsy, the cost needs to be reduced, the threat level goes down and we all get complacent. I recall a comment from the chief of police somewhere who observed that the terrorist only had to get lucky once, they had to be lucky all the time.

As the news headlines roll on my thoughts are with those who are directly affected, but also with those who have to deal with it, the police, fire and ambulance crews who are first into those blast sites and who are searching for other potential devices, and also for the intelligence services and the security staff who will be haunted for years to come with the doubt that they may have missed something that would have prevented it.

I never complain about security at airports and other terminus, because I know it is there for my protection. So perhaps we need to start thinking of new ways to mitigate the threat, to eliminate the need for the security in the first place.