PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2016, 22:54
midiman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was in the same dilemma around 7 years ago. I was going to take the leap to become a Pilot, or get on the property ladder.

Either option was going to cost around £110K.

Buying a house would have given me somewhere to live and potentially see my money go up in value.

On the other hand, obtaining a fATPL for the same amount of money would have only guaranteed a huge amount of debt. Simply because you can’t sell your fATPL if you get into trouble and you can’t afford to be sitting around without a job.

Then there is another dilemma, who is say that you are going to like the job? You can’t chop or change and you would be at the airlines mercy. So you’re are probably going to be put on minimal pay, made to do unsociable hours, and posted to the furthest reaches of the world. You will be a slave to the sky.

For example, I remember being on a flight to Egypt and thinking that our plane has already been delayed by two hours. So what must the crews day be like?
This how is must have panned out.
  • They arrived to work on time.
  • Prepared the aircraft.
  • Sat at the gate waiting for departure.
  • Flew outbound for 5hrs.
  • Then they told us that they were preparing for a quick turnaround back to Gatwick.
So lets say their day comprised of a 12hr shift in a cramped A320.

I love aircraft and that burning desire to fly will never leave. But you have to stop and say to yourself, is it really worth it?

Since I made the decision to purchase my property it has nearly doubled in value, and I’ve also improved my career prospects. I’m now an IT Consultant, and 6 months away from becoming a qualified Plumber.

It hurts, but at the age of 40 I’ve now got a property that’s nearly paid for, a decent job, a life, and a second career option that comes with unlimited earning potential. All for the same price as a fATPL.

I heard that Airlines used to approach FTOs to pickup PPL Instructors, or even Crop Dusters. That's how my friend managed to get his first job with a low cost carrier, and now he's a 777 Cpt for Qatar.

Paying to fly and the thought of eroding T&Cs make me think that you might be safer on the ground.

NB: To the Train Drivers on here.
I wouldn't even contemplate leaving my job if I was taking home £2700 per month in my standard hours, or have the chance of clearing £3500+ with overtime.

It's a bit like the Tube Drivers, they love to complain about their £55K plus salary.
Try looking at what an A320 Captain gets paid when you get home at your regular time.