PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B-738 Crash in Russia Rostov-on-Don
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2016, 15:47
Callsign Kilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aluminium Shuffler makes an extremely valid statement about the ALT AQR gotcha with a two engined go around in the 737. A low missed approach altitude or failure to set the correct altitude, should it be higher than the platform altitude at which the approach was commenced can lead to a nasty shock. It's worth re-emphasising that this isn't completely understood by all 737 pilots and very often isn't discussed in training. It wasn't until I started training folk In the -800 sim that I was able to witness such an occurrence. Flight director pitch command leading to a rapid forward pitch input by PF, coupled with the A/T in speed mode, retarding thrust to control the commanded speed resultant from the speed window opening at ALT AQR. The forward pitch input was so abrupt (due to startle factor as both crew hadn't expected to level off as soon - the MCP altitude hadn't been correctly set for the GA) that it overshot. An equally abrupt reverse pitch input was added, leading to oscillations in pitch and resultant speed excursion.

I'm not at all saying that this is what happened in Rostov, however it's easy to see where things can go wrong. It has amazed me how many guys that I fly with are unaware of this trap and it is something that should be briefed as a relative TEM item. It also stuns me how many people want to engage level change during flap retraction in a two engined missed approach and don't discuss what will happen with commanded speed. Definitely a focus area for training departments.