PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B-738 Crash in Russia Rostov-on-Don
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2016, 15:32
JammedStab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Concerning the fatigue issue, perhaps they were fatigued and perhaps they were not. Based on personal experience, even if tired, it tends to go away for me during an approach, especially when the weather is poor or challenging. And if a missed approach is thrown in, one wakes up quite quickly. So while I can see fatigue being an issue for forgetting to reset an MCP altitude or some other similar thing, I find it difficult to believe that it will be a major issue in terms of flying a missed approach manually unless one is grossly fatigued. As someone mentioned, mistakes happen to non-fatigued crews as well. Fatigue tends to be thrown around as an automatic excuse for a mistake. Many of us are starting our flights in the evening, so fatigue is just part of the job.

Concerning the weather, it appears that the weather is little different than is frequently encountered by crews around the world every day in which approaches are made. It was windy but nearly down the runway and there were reports of turbulence. An approach was made as is done in similar conditions around the world. Possibly, it got turbulent and they went around. Nothing out of the ordinary although one should expect that some of the passengers would not be happy with the expected turbulence. That being said, the statement that one pilot made of not attempting an approach if the locals are not making it in seems like a wise thought.

Concerning the holding and people asking why would the pilot hold for two hours, there is nothing unsafe about that at all as long as you have the fuel to do so. Perhaps the forecast was for improving weather.

Concerning the CB's, I just checked the Petropavlovsk weather as we use it as an alternate every time we fly by it. Once again, CB's in the Metar and forcast. It is 0 degrees C and snowing. Every time I check the weather at this airport there are CB's including throughout the cold weather which is ridiculous weather forecasting and observations. Seeing as this appears to be something that happens all across Russia, I say that their weather reporti g lacks credibility, at least when it comes to CB's, meaning that I don't believe that there was a thunderstorm at Rostov that night as it was still winter there as well.