PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - working in japan
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2003, 20:37
Farknel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lasiorhinus,

You must have really been skulking around the depths of Pprune to dredge this topic up - and just where do you "get off" on making the outrageous statement in your last post.

It's not impossible but do you realise how much work is involved in becoming literate in written Japanese? Maybe you do, but in case you are unaware there are 3 written scripts - 2 of which are phonetic and are relatively easy to master, however the third is the Kanji script (borrowed from China) which is ideographic and the Japanese Ministry of Education recommends that students be proficient in at least 1900 characters by the time they graduate from high school.

I have frequently encountered situations with Japanese friends who are graduates of top universities who cannot tell me the meaning of certain Kanji from time to time and they themselves have to seek out dictionaries as there are far more than the basic 1900 alrady mentioned.

Aussie friends who have studied at universities in Japan have had to spend over a year full time at special university entrance language schools just to build up their already impressive skills to the level where they can attend classes given in Japanese.

So can you imagine what it would be like sitting down and having to read all the exam questions written in Japanese and then answer in the same language?

I think you should lie down for a while, stick your head up your clacker and get some enlightenment that way.

Fark.