PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nerves and flying for the sake of keeping current
Old 21st Mar 2016, 13:42
LTCTerry

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you don't have at least a tiny bit of nervousness then you've become complacent. And, we know complacency kills.

Not about nerves, but about currency for the sake of currency. I am currently IFR current but not 90-day ASEL (SEP if you prefer) current. (Not to mention I was able to use "current" three times in one sentence!)

How did I do the above? My last ASEL flights were in November '15, completing IFR currency. Early February the ASEL currency ran out, but (FAA) IFR is good for six months. Two weeks ago I was in Texas and did seven approaches in a Redbird Advanced Aviation Training Device (can't call it a simulator by FAA definition) so I did one more that required to reset for six more months.

The only IFR flying I do is to stay IFR legal. If that's the only reason I'm doing it, why am I doing it? I don't plan to launch into serious IFR conditions, but I do want to be sure that if something ever happens I have some skill/ability to safely return. I paid a lot of money for that rating!

Terry