PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Top of the World: photos from Nepal
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2016, 13:28
Vertical Freedom

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Danger Basic Flying & Airmanship Training

G'day Hot & High..thanks for the compliments on my clix
To reply to Your question on machine positioning safety....in Kindergarten flight training school I was taught to do a very thorough security check each & every landing off an airport or a solid H, including slope landings
This means whenever the ground is uncertain (read every-time); the PIC must, repeat MUST perform a security/stability check; after a suitable landing pad is selected & landed on still maintaining 100% Nr (obviously no steep down-slopes) You give a good positive dance on the Pedals whilst giving the Cyclic a damn good stir to prove the ground is stable, being at the ready to relaunch if she begins to fall over/slip, do this before bringing the Nr back to idle
The complete 'dimwit' on the clip posted did none of the above, zip, zilch, along with landing on a down-slope & immediately shutting down??? WTF was this clown thinking??? Luckily he didn't kill anyone
If Your Instructor didn't teach these baby-basics; it's concerning what other critical key points did he/she miss teaching????
After over 8,000 high altitude Mountain landings this technique works perfectly every-time, provided these basics are followed. I can assure You it has saved quiet a few not so bright Folks from being minced by the Tail-Rotor & never has the machine fallen/slipped over

Last edited by Vertical Freedom; 22nd Mar 2016 at 06:15.