PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2016, 10:17
Corporal Clott

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
There is no way I can dress all this up as good news.
When I first read this I thought it was not going to do exactly that. Then I read the supplementary notes and saw 'window dressing' yet again. I wonder if the supplementary notes were from Sir Chris?

On the messaging of VGS OCs and Stn Cdrs about the decision. This is a modern age, and so as soon as the Written Ministerial Statement (WMS) came out around 1230hrs on 10 Mar 16, then all OCs should have been texted and emailled a link ASAP; better to find out this way from an official source rather than Facebook and text message notes of condolence. The previous 2 videos keep talking about 'use of technology' in the Air Cadets - then use it! Writing letters to Stn Cdrs dated 1 day after the announcement and speaking to the staff 3 hours after the announcement is very bad form in my humble opinion. I believe it could have been done so much better:

1. Text link of Ministerial Statement to all VGS OCs with a note stating "HQ 2FTS will call you as soon as we can".
2. Follow up call needs to be brief - "Hello Sqn Ldr X, I'm dreadfully sorry to tell you....etc...I have 13 other Sqn Cdrs to call right now, but I wanted you all to know at the very earliest opportunity. I must go but one of my staff will call you straight back with further details."
3. The follow up staff probably won't know much more than the VGS OC but at least they have someone to chat with and start to help sort out the jumbled, and sometimes irrational, thoughts that a Sqn disbandment announcement can bring.

Why would this have been so very difficult? Many knew for weeks that an announcement was expected and so putting a plan in place like the one above was quite simple. Defence WMS normally come out on a Thursday and so you could even plan the right day of the week!!!

CPL Clott

PS. "Clear possibilities include RAFGSA, Civilian Clubs for bespoke scholarship courses, and perhaps the addition of another glider type to the current Viking fleet" - Hallelujah, Sir Chris