PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fairey Firefly at Duxford
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2003, 20:07
DamienB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RD is right - the footage aired a mere 35 minutes after the crash, having been sold by Red Admiral Productions (the company filming the airshow) to Sky and other TV channels. Personally I hope Red Admiral are never allowed on an airfield ever again - it's simply despicable to sell such footage before next of kin have even been informed. In the past any such footage has generally gone straight to the AAIB, not sold immediately to TV in order to line some scumbag's pocket. I've made a complaint to the Broadcasting Standards Commission anyway, for what good it may do. It would not have hurt Sky etc. to wait for the relatives to be informed before broadcasting such graphic footage over and over again overlaid with ill-informed comment.

As for doing aeros - if any of the people complaining about unsuitable manouevres in the Firefly had actually seen its display you would know it was one of gentler routines, very much in the mould of how the BBMF show off their aircraft. My impression on Saturday was that it did seem to be going a little slower than normal however - and it was a very hot day; I have no end of photos ruined by heat haze even when the subject was at several hundred feet - I've never seen that before, normally over about 50 feet and the air is clear enough for photos.