PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2016, 09:13
ATFQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Message from Honorary President of 2 FTS

"You will be aware of the recent decisions on the future of Air Cadet Gliding, which will see the demise of most of the Vigilant fleet, leaving only circa 15 for the next few years, and a significant reduction in gliding locations. There is no way I can dress all this up as good news. However, much media coverage has been ill-informed, mischievous and selective with the facts. As your President, and also Hon President of 2 FTS, I wanted to give you all my view of the background, the decisions and the future.

In terms of my own role in all this, you will be aware that I could exert influence, but the final decisions were taken by the senior executive of the RAF, taking into account affordability, the needs of the ACO and a vision of the future. It was especially necessary to consider the cost-effectiveness of a lengthy recovery programme for the Vigilant fleet, alongside the requirement to re-engine the motor gliders in the 2020 timeframe.

I have briefed you before on the reasons behind the current grounding of the VGS fleet, which is now approaching two years. In essence, the root causes were a stiffening of flight safety regulations post the scathing Nimrod accident review by Haddon-Cave QC, and the subsequent discovery of significant shortcomings in engineering governance in the VGS fleet. With cadet safety paramount, especially after the tragic Tutor accidents of recent years, I believe the ACO authorities had no choice but to initiate the pause to flying.

There has been understandable criticism of how the decisions were announced. However, government rules emphatically prohibit any advanced notice of sensitive decisions until Ministers have made formal announcements. Informal briefings invariably leak, with consequent embarrassment. Moreover, there have been extensive discussions and consultations between senior officers and the VGS community; I attended on several occasions. Of course, in the end a decision was taken at Air Force Board level, but no one can fairly claim that they were in the dark on the dire state of the fleet, the costs involved to mount a full recovery, and the difficult decisions which had to be made. I might add that the Commandant Air Cadets personally wrote to all members of the ACO as soon as protocol allowed, with a full explanation, expression of deep regret, especially for those displaced instructors, and a clear message about future aviation opportunities. In addition, John Middleton will visit every affected VGS; he has been to 10 already.

On the plans themselves, whilst there will be far fewer gliding locations,there will be more fully refurbished Vikings at more sites, new high speed winches are being procured, the training package will be better and will include excellent STE, and the remaining centres of excellence will boast vastly improved infrastructure, including bespoke accommodation. Indeed, with a rationalised fleet of purely conventional gliders, I would argue that the true gliding experience should be enhanced. Taken alongside significantly increased powered air experience flying (AEF), with plans for two more Flights, using aircraft currently in reserve, the ACO has no reason to fear that flying opportunities are under threat. The 'Air' element will remain at the heart of the Organisation.

Of course, much of the VGS package represents bad news, notably for so many dedicated instructors; my heart goes out to them. However, some will be able to convert to AEF on the Tutor; others will be offered a crossover to the Viking. Sadly, many will not be able to continue serving the ACO, and their feelings of being let down are entirely understandable.

So, very challenging days for the VGS community, ourselves included, but in the end the decisions are logical, were as well managed as protocol allows, and we must now move forward. I will do my best to ensure that current plans are progressed as quickly as possible, that appropriate deals are made available to the Vigilant instructors, and that you are all kept informed of progress. In the future, I will be looking with John Middleton at ways of increasing conventional gliding opportunities, especially as the remaining Vigilants are phased out. Clear possibilities include RAFGSA, Civilian Clubs for bespoke scholarship courses, and perhaps the addition of another glider type to the current Viking fleet. Your views at Linton will be much appreciated. I shall be wearing my flack jacket!

Warm Regards
Chris

Sir Christopher Coville

President FOGIES

Hon President 2 FTS
Supplementary Notes:

- The decisions on future Air Cadet gliding were taken in the best interests of cadet flying opportunities, not to make savings.
- The motor glider sorties are largely being replaced by more capable, interesting and varied Tutor sorties, which unlike the Vigilant can include aerobatics.
- Conventional Viking gliding opportunities will increase threefold, as a result of fleet size enhancement and acquisition of additional modern winches.
- Number of flying sites (AEF and VGS) remains about the same.
- Number of flying opportunities largely unaffected, but could actually increase as new winches, increased Viking numbers and additional AEF role out.
- New, modern simulators will add value to airborne time.
- The whole training package is being improved, along with far better infrastructure.
- The final distribution of gliders and AEF will maximise flying opportunities for cadets, taking into account travel distances and regional needs.
- When recovery is complete, the UK ACO will have the largest youth flying enterprise in the world, and the largest single fleet of conventional gliders in any similar organisation."