PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Extra bits I found on my aircraft today...
Old 25th Jul 2001, 20:21
Dragonspet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Unfortunately all professionals in this industry on occasion has the opportunity to deal with the blatant ignorance that exist. At my previous employer (no names mentioned) a KLM 747 was inducted for an “A” check and a few squawks off the logbook. One of the write-ups happened to be a leaking nose gear retract actuator. The maintenance package was signed off a maintenance release statement was bought off by the chief inspector, yet the aircraft is still on our ramp curious as to what the hold up was I went out to the line and was in total disbelief with what I witnessed taking place. The tug was still connected and a mechanic was up in the nose wheel well with a short handled 10 lb. Sledge hammer beating the crap out of the gear pin in an effort to dislodge the pin, this along with the tug driver jerking the plane back and forth. The pilots are on board mind you, as a member of the Quality assurance department I am somewhat concerned with this process. I call up to the pilots and recommend we depressurize the hydraulics system in an effort to release the binding of the gear pin he responds “ No worries mate this happens all the time”