PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B-738 Crash in Russia Rostov-on-Don
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2016, 16:17
gtaflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Somatogravic illusion the culprit?

I have experienced performing go-around on an A320 and A330 both engines aircraft during the day in good visibility and can say that it is most uncomfortable feeling I ever want to experience. I had a very strong urge to push forward on the joystick but thankfully did not. Imagine the same situation but at night in rain and with pitch up of at least 17 degrees you have no visual que, in strong turbulence the illusion is even more pronounced, you have to trust the instruments.

I have practiced the manoeuvre in a sim and it does not even come close to replicating the real thing in the aircraft in weather conditions described. Hopefully the data recorders will reveal the truth. I wonder what the results would show if research was done to evaluate the pilot reactions to similar situation as that in the Kazan and fly Dubai.

My feeling is that the pilot in flydubai had even more unstable approach extreme weather and visual ques such that on this second Go/Around his own perception was very different from that of the aircraft with the resultant mismanaged control.

We need to replicate this most dangerous manoeuvre in aviation in the sim and train pilots to fly it safely 100% of time every time. How hard can it be to train pilots in basic power/attitude flying to get out of trouble ?