PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2016, 15:07
wheel lock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nay Sayers

Hey Train2Plane, it's been a good few years but I was once in your "boat", or at least on your train! I was 30 years old, I had a steady job in the non-flying area of aviation, good pay, good benefits, 6 weeks holidays a year and full medical and dental coverage. I also had a two year old child and another on the way, almost everyone I worked with said I was absolutely crazy to try and become a pilot.
I won't prattle on about the hours, time, money and blood that I invested in training because I'm sure you know what it will entail. I applied to many a company and was rejected at every turn, "you don't have enough hours, get some hours and then come see us", was what I heard over and over! I picked four companies that I wanted to work for, the first one, being my priority, got the brunt of my efforts. I flew to the city where they were based, three times, to see the Chief Pilot. The pit bull at reception would have none of it but I persisted and finally got to see him! After that I emailed him every week for 6 months solid.
Just over one year later, I received a phone call from him, offering me a job. The job was only for three months and then after that I would be made redundant. "Was I still interested", he asked? I immediately said yes! Then proceeded to tell my wife that I was quitting my regular job and was hired as a pilot and in 3 months time I would be let go and I had absolutely no idea how we were going to survive!
Suffice to say that the job went much longer than three months and I was not let go. Many years later I now sit in the left seat of a 777. If I had listened to everyone that said I was nuts and was too scared to take a leap of faith, I would not be where I am today. It was not an easy journey but it was well worth it and I am still as happy today as I was when I got my first job. Aviation has changed a lot over the years but those with a passion to fly will still do it. There will be many who will say you're crazy, it's up to you to decided what you want to do.

Good luck in your endeavors!,

WL