PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet A1 Highway Bowser Wanted
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2016, 12:22
Self loading bear

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Stringfellow,
I am a bit dissapointed in your reaction. Everybody confirms to all procedures and regulations when it comes to helicopter safety. When somebody apprently deviates he is grilled on pprune. When it comes to road safety this does no longer applies?

Rwy
I think the ADR requirements are 3-way:
1)The truck. When beyond the small load exemption the truck needs to be full ADR compliant. The bowser/IBC for which Chopjock might have found an exemption might be a solution. But beware you should still find some confirmation that Jet A1 UN1863 is allowed under the same exemption. Although the properties are almost the same as heating oil the alternative allowed UN numbers are not stated in Chopjocks link.Under small load exemptions there are some requirements for fire extinghuishers etc.

2)The load. The fuel may be transported under small load exemptions if Jet A1 is under 1000 litres,
or under 333 litres AvGas. The difference is in the flash point of the fuel. The smal load exemptions only have 3 classes: Max 20; max 333 and max 1000. AvGas happens to be in the middle category. So if the 3000 litre bowser might be allowed as IBC it should be possible to transport 999 litres under small load exemptions.

3) Driver, when under small loads exemption I believe there are no extra requirements. At least not for proffessional truck drivers. For private car drivers better check this.

Caution my knowledge is Dutch based any deviations towards UK ADR regulation are beyond my limited wisdom.

Cheers SLB