PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B-738 Crash in Russia Rostov-on-Don
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2016, 20:51
Starfox64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Syntax Error
Sorry my bad, you are right. Tempo brain freeze, still I personally would have never even tried this approach, and I don't think anybody I know would have given it a go either!

It will be so easy to give the pilot the blame, while I rather thing there is a deeper culture issue here.

Also another problem in this area of the world, there are not many Cat 2 or Cat 3 airports around, so that is a reason often you need to carry tons of extra fuel.
In my previous company we had often on late flights 3000 kg extra fuel just to be able to reach the nearest Cat 2 airport in the vicinity.

If one airport was fogged in or windy, they would normally all be that in the same region, and they would normally be max Cat 1 or NPA.

It's a bit lottery to wait for 2 hours over one airport making your options around less and less!
Really? Everyone has their own limits but from the METAR it's doesn't look any different to the type of weather we routinely operate in and around the British Isles when a storm rolls in. Gusting 30knots+ pretty much down the runway, possible windshear, bit of cloud is par for the course.

Nothing wrong with holding for 2 hours if you have the fuel. Just have an exit strategy and a defined time/fuel amount at which you head off to the suitable and agreed alternate.