PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 19th Mar 2016, 19:47
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flyer Flier,

Thanks for that last post, and the magic memories brought back from your photographs. ALSS was a very special place for those who served there, as I suppose, was BLSS for "them" !!!! By the time I arrived there circa 87, I had variously seen the delights of life as a rigger on Vulcan, Lightning, Jet Provost, Chipmunk and Bulldog, Nimrod AEW and a remote Scottish VASS. None approached the camaraderie or determination to meet the tasking that I found at RAF Lyneham. We simply didn't go home till the aircrew had their required steeds. I think many of the operators on this thread would agree with my statement. I was lucky enough to spend the latter part of my time in the service as an AGE, which gave me an insight in to Albert away from Lyneham, the commitment of the crews to getting the job done and the back up offered by both LSS organisations to people like me, many miles from home and needing advice. Your C flight guys (Simes and Mick) are to the best of my knowledge both well, and still in the vicinity. Thanks again for the photographs, worthy of this ever building record of Albert in RAF service, we all contributed to its success.

Smudge