PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B-738 Crash in Russia Rostov-on-Don
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2016, 17:57
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a full TOGA climb for which we are trained for at windshear warning.

WS escape initial FD guidance is 15 degrees attitude. To achieve full power with A/T engaged you'd need to disconnect A/T or push TOGA twice. 15 degrees attitude does not give 3500-4000fpm.
If they were making a 2nd approach from FL 150 they would need certain weather. Other a/c had diverted. If ATC are giving severe turbulence & WS why make that 2nd approach? They had cancelled the 1st, but we don't know why. Perhaps they told ATC, but we don't know, yet. On the 2nd, WS warnings are not available until <1500'. If ATC advised of WS before then they might have decided to cancel, but then no panic or surprise, just imitate the 1st time.
No-one has yet answered if FZ use monitored approaches for this approach, but either way it seems the GA was made well above DA. ?'s are why, and why the mess up 2nd time.

Regarding the comment about sim GA's, "check GA thrust" and PM gives full power. IMHO that is lack of briefing or SOP. "In the event of a GA I will set approx 90% and ask you to check power." If TOGA was pressed once and PM pushes TL's towards full PWR they will reduce. He'd either have to push again or disconnect. If either happens that's weak MCC technique, or strange and unnecessary SOP's.
We don't yet know who was PF/PM, unless it was a monitored. But if ATC was still giving WS & turbulence, and IF that was the reason for the early GA No.1, they why not divert rather than enter the lion's den again? Henk my interest in the CVR. I think we will all learn more about crew dynamics from tat than from the FDR. The 'why' can be more educational than the 'what'. It will help better with prevention of repeats.