PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B-738 Crash in Russia Rostov-on-Don
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2016, 17:53
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please stop saying bull...CAT IIIA Approaches must be Auto-Landed by Law. The only difference from CAT IIIB is that they have a decision hight and pilots must make visual contact to let the aircraft continue and make an auto-land.
Huh? So you're saying that no CAT IIIA approaches have an alert height (AH)? That's news to me and Mr. Boeing.

Go around is: turn left at 940 ft (QNH), then climb to 2250 ft (QNH).
My Jepp 11-2 dated 5 FEB 16 has climb to 2260 feet on QNH (or 600 meters on QFE for the controller I suppose). As pointed out earlier in the thread, the QNH QFE stuff shouldn't be a huge deal and FlyDubai did acknowledge the QNH altimeter settings.

But, on the ATC tape, the FZ981 crew advises the ATC that in event of a missed approach they will maintain FL 80 (QNE). ATC says 'roger'.

So, would they have 8000 feet set in the window for the miss on a B-738 shooting the ILS 22?

And, even after ATC said OK to FL 80, was there confusion over whether to level off at 600 meters QFE, i.e. 2260 QNH on the miss?

Did they think they had overshot the published level off and nosed the plane back down after the go around pitch change? Or, was the lower altitude inadvertently set in the window and a throttle rollback occurred when the autothrottles were reengaged (perhaps by a vertical mode change)?

Didn't Korean have an MD-11F crash in PVG where they were confused over meters and feet for the level off altitude and nosed the plane down into the ground on departure?

QFE, QNH, QNE, feet, meters, windshear, hours of holding, a long day at the office for sure...