PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FZ 981 crashes in Rostov on Don Russia
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2016, 10:06
north flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kamelchaser,

I don't disagree with raising awareness of the dangers of vertigo and this is as good a time as any.

Like you, I have 35 plus years of military/civilian experience and I am not naive to think that pilots won't discuss what went wrong, it is our nature.

All I am saying is that it could be one of an unknown number of things that could have caused this accident and I have learned from the past that whenever "I" think I know what may have caused an accident, I have been wrong.

When I was flying C-130's, we were doing practice G/A's from minimums in VFR conditions and the #3 engine went into reverse, by the skill of the flight engineer, who shut down the engine while we were in a 30 to 40 degree bank a couple hundred feet above the runway were we able to come back around and land, had it been in IFR conditions and we crashed, would it have been vertigo, pilot error, the weather? So once again, all I am saying is that we don't know what happened.

What I do take issue with is any "professional pilot" second guessing what another crew has done, like, "why did they hold so long and not divert".

That is what I was getting at, next time I will be more blunt.

Condolences to the crew and their passengers.

Last edited by north flyer; 19th Mar 2016 at 10:29.