PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B-738 Crash in Russia Rostov-on-Don
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2016, 07:19
HIALS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snowfalcon - my interpretation of the ATC recording is that both QFE and QNH were being given to the crew. The transition level at URRR is FL050.

Therefore, when cleared to "600 meters" as a 'height' - the crew were effectively being cleared to descend to 600 metres on QFE. This should have been firstly converted to 2,000 ft and then adjusted to a QNH altitude of 2,000 ft plus the runway threshold elevation. The Jeppesen chart for URRR Rwy 22 ILS indicates that 600m QFE = 2250 ft QNH. Note: the Jeppesen URRR charts use the terminology height and altitude in regard to the altitude conversion information.

It is my experience at airports where ATC use metric QFE procedures; that aircraft using imperial QNH altimetry procedures can expect to use the term 'height' to indicate a QFE height as opposed to a QNH altitude or a QNE flight level.

I don't think this has any bearing on the accident. But, it explains the reason why ATC was giving both QFE and QNH and using the phrase 'height' in the altitude clearances.

Last edited by HIALS; 19th Mar 2016 at 10:01. Reason: Additional information