PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2016, 21:51
Brian 48nav

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I discovered John Master's novels when browsing in the station library at RAF Changi in 1968. I loved his evocation of India and particularly his love and high regard for the Gurkhas with whom he had the privilege to serve. Max Hastings book 'Warriors' has pen portraits of famous military men over the ages including Masters and Guy Gibson and a common thread seems to have been that many fearless fighting men were loathed by their colleagues.

In 'Road past Mandalay' Masters refers to his affair with another officer's wife, albeit separated, while attending staff college at Quetta. For advice in what to do he went to his general, who picked up his hat, touched the red band around it and said,' A good marriage is worth far more than this! '. That same sentiment was why I did not continue with what should have been ( certainly when I was at nav' School ) a promising career in the RAF - I would always have put my wife and her needs ahead of the service. Despite marrying at 21 & 18 respectively, we will celebrate our Golden next year. Mind you, to counter that, I have loads of RAF mates who enjoyed a full career to 55 and they will also be celebrating next year.

It wasn't until I read 'Warriors' that I found the identity of Masters' step-sons, one of whom made general and by coincidence had lived in my village a few years before we moved here. His, Masters, description of his time as a Chindit, where as a substantive Major he became Brigade Commander, is a highlight of his autobiographies.

Last edited by Brian 48nav; 18th Mar 2016 at 21:56. Reason: grammar and addition