PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 18th Mar 2016, 09:24
heisj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAA vs EASA again, with a minor catch

Hey guys,

I've been reading through the few major threads and decided to ask for some advice on my own situation..

Turning 25, USA/Finland dual citizen, no college degree(had the chance), 0 experience so far.

Basically I have been saving up for sometime now and I had planned it quite through: going to FL, getting my licenses and start building those hours by instructing. I've visited a few schools onsite and got a good vibe off one operating out of LNA at West Palm Beach.

Sounded pretty straight forward and a good option for me as I have the right to work and live in the US.. But then it hit me, the lack of a college degree got me thinking again. That basically means I won't be able to get a job at major airline in the US.

There are many options as I see it:
-Go through my original plan, instruct and maybe land a job at a regional for some years and possibly go on outside the US to a major airline in the ME/Asia. Also there are possibilities to get a 4-year degree off an online program while doing my training(too much work with the flight training going on?).

-EASA licenses via US school. If I got EASA instructing licenses, could I instruct in a US school(..teaching EASA)? I guess it could be a good chance as I have the right to work in the US? No hassle of obtaining work permits for a instructor, in the eyes of a school. Get a good amount of hours and come back to Europe.

-Do the FAA route, build some time and eventually do the conversion or is that just unnecessary work compared to going with EASA from the start?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!