PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MS diagnosis
Thread: MS diagnosis
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2016, 00:22
norton2005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MS diagnosis

Hi all, I have recently been diagnosed with relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis. Looking back on old medical records actually makes the drs suggest I've had this for 15 years and never knew. I of course had my class 1 taken away initially, but after going through the symptom free period, was looking at returning as I have no symptoms at the moment being in remission.
I just wanted to ask, is there anyone out there flying with MS? Anyone who managed to get their class 1 back after diagnosis? Or is this really the end?
I almost got re certified before christmas with a multi pilot operations restriction as they were quite contempt with my health, but then the issue of treatment has now come about. My neurologist is suggesting giving tecfidera a try. A twice daily pill that apparently reduces relapse rates by 53%! This pill is not an interferon and side effects are mild compared to some of the injectable ones. Flushing, diaorhea, which I'm told don't affect everyone, and usually passes after body has adjusted.

So to some up, just trying to ascertain as to if this is the end of the road for flying. If theres pilots flying here in the uk with MS? If so, if theres any of you on treatment? Which treatments, if any, are accepted by CAA? And is there anyone successfully back to work whilst on tecfidera?

Thank you so much for any help that anyone has. Im hoping for the best but of course anticipating the worst.