PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A.S.T. Perth (Scone) 1966
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2016, 21:18
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Quote from Manoir:
"The list of AST instructors and staff on your 26th January post doesn't mention Dave Blair, my instructor on singles. I wondered if, by chance, he was seconded from the R.A.F. This might explain why his name was not on the AST payroll and therefore not included in your source material."

That's quite possible, John, or could he have joined AST after that list was prepared?

Hi Offchocks,
Well, it's nice to be praised for self-indulgence: thanks! Re the two C310Ds, Bravo-Charlie and Charlie-India, they represented the whole fleet until G-AVDB, a C310L with redesigned wing-tip tanks that may have improved lateral stability, arrived in Jan/Feb 1967. Perhaps it was also on the fleet in 1973?

I seem to recall that one of the Ds had to land premeditatedly with partial or no L/G (sorry, U/C) on the grass at Scone some time in 1966. The skipper may have been Willy Hamilton, and one engine was conventionally feathered and the prop rotated to horizontal prior to the approach. The landing went well, but there may have been some rippling of the nose fuselage skin. I wonder if Hoddy, whose dad was the station Chief Engineer (see post #98), might remember the aftermath.