PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Full checklist pre-flight check after brief shut down
Old 17th Mar 2016, 06:28
Fly4Business

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the general consensus for doing checks after a relatively short shut down, say for example shutting down to drop a passenger, or taking a pee etc., do most folks taxi to the engine run up area and run all items on the checklist like they do for the first flight of the day, or do most folks use an expedited list like take off config, mags, prop + gauges as they taxi to the hold short line?
For theses examples, full checklist, no matter what.
When I learned, we had this strict telling that most things break on switching on or shutting off.

Regarding pulling the governor when flying SEP, I have to admit I always do it at least three times. I am flying on the belief in the Analog God's "see and feel what goes on", instead of the Digital God's "some higher CPU will take care for it". I am looking at the primaries when pulling. First pull, is the rpm drop right? Second pull, does the MAP do what it is supposed to do. Third pull, oil pressure and temperature moving correctly? Im my opinion this cannot be done in one move. How many countless times did I see colleague pulling the rod without switching on their brain first? I do see a bad tendency, especially with the younger G-something generations, to stare at glascockpit screens without realizing the physics. The, as my Australian Co called, blinky new technology may give better Situational Awareness for some, but also may degrade Aircraft and Engine Awareness.

Last edited by Fly4Business; 17th Mar 2016 at 06:48.