PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working as a Pilot in China
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2016, 23:01
llondel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My understanding of many of the issues in SE Asia is that "loss of face" is important (or rather the avoiding of) and the existence of a very hierarchical structure means that it is also important that your boss does not lose face either. Korean cockpit procedures got slated for this after a few fatal crashes and they did make a big effort to improve.

(Not to say that the rest of the world isn't immune either, just that some countries/airlines learned the value of proper CRM a lot earlier than others.)

Rightly or wrongly, I choose to avoid flying on airlines from certain countries because I perceive their safety as being poor. If everyone did that, they'd have great incentive to improve, but the absence of a few foreigners at the back of the aircraft is not going to change Chinese culture, given that they've got plenty of their own people to fly around. the only way to change the flight deck behaviour is by someone sitting in one of the seats and providing an education, and even that's unlikely to have much effect.