PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing in a plowed field Risky? Safe?
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2016, 07:57
KyleTheAviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Landing in a plowed field Risky? Safe?

I have landed gliders in plowed fields before (its bumpy), but they are pretty light, and only have one wheel.

Ive been wondering in an emergency, how would a small aircraft like a cassna 172 or even a 210 fair landing in a plowed field? Either landing with the direction of the plow lines, Or perpendicular to them (depending on wind direction)?

Obviously you would need to use the soft field techniques. But i would worry the rear wheels would dig in, and slam the nose down, then the nose would get bogged down and well... things go real bad from there...

perpendicular to plow lines going to be WAY more bumpy obviously, but if thats the direction of a strong head wind, maybe thats still the best choice?

Reason im asking is because im planning a long rual trip, and trying to work out my options if something does go wrong. So anyone have experience with this? High or Low chance of wheels getting stuck and flipping the plane?

Also been wondering if it would increase stopping distance, or reduce it. Would it be safe to brake hard on this kind of surface?

Something like this