PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2016, 05:19
Sky Sports

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Earlier on in the thread, around the post #790, I made the comment that I had seen cadet numbers fall as a result of the 'pause'. This was debate and the comment challenged in some quarters.

Glad this was confirmed in the recent RAF briefing note.

Pause. In Apr 14 substantial airworthiness issues became apparent on both Viking and Vigilant gliders. A fleet check led to a total loss of airworthiness assurance and all glider flying was paused until the scale of the problem could be determined and a recovery plan put into action. As this was being developed more technical failings emerged, which led to a comprehensive overhaul of the whole gliding enterprise; a refresh from origin of every aircraft’s airworthiness certificate and a re-baseline of all maintenance records. A parallel root and branch review of activity led to a redefining of why we glide, how it is organized and controlled, where it happens and how it is managed. This lengthy and unavoidable pause, was acutely felt and resulted in a reduction in cadet numbers and a dispirited adult volunteer cadre.
I should also like to add, that it will go on being 'acutely felt' and will continue to see cadet numbers fall.

There are some who have been hanging on, hoping to see a full return to flying with lots of opportunities to get airborne. Now that is not going to happen, they to will leave.

Additionally, there are those who fall for the, 'so many opportunities to fly', li(n)e at open evenings, who then sign up, realise the truth and quit within a couple of months.

Its my guess that squadrons will be closing all over NI and Wales.