PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cabin temperatures.
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2016, 19:05
yellowtriumph

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cabin temperatures.

I've made many long distance flights over the years and it always occurred to me that during overnight sectors the temperature in the cabin always seemed to rise when we, the passengers, were expected (required?) to go to sleep. Of course everyone's comfortable temperature is going to be different to everyone else, but when I was flying with others the general opinion among the group was that the temperature was too high to sleep with any comfort. Yes, I did occasionally ask the cabin crew to see if the temperature could be lowered and sometimes it was, sometimes it wasn't.

It occurred to me over the years that maybe this practice was only common in the economy sections of the aircraft where the larger number of passengers might cause more work for the cabin crew and hence a rise in cabin temperature might cause quite a few to be artificially 'heat sedated' and not cause too much further work for a few hours.

As the years have rolled by and finances have improved, I've spent recent years flying in flat bed class. To my personal disappointment I have found the practice still appears to happen there too. I have asked for the temperature to be reduced once we have been packed off to bed and I'd like to think the cabin crews have acted on my requests - to some extent anyway.

On my last trip it was so hot I even had to strip off my Virgin pyjamas and sleep only in my underpants because the cabin was so hot. I was not alone in my observation from asking around. (I did loosely place the blanket across me to limit the visual distress to my fellow passengers!).

So I guess my question is: Is there any sort of official or unofficial policy on cabin temperatures during overnight flying sectors. Or is it down to the individual cabin crew members?