PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nerves and flying for the sake of keeping current
Old 15th Mar 2016, 11:18
Martin_123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've some 25 hours post licence and I got my licence August last year. Given the winter we had, I don't mind calling myself fairly current, I even have my first sea crossing between UK and Ireland (accompanied by more experienced pilot) and a NR. I never really get nervous before the flight, however from time to time I would get anxious during the flight. All sort of IFs come in play, I don't think I ever doubt the aircraft I'm flying - I worry more about myself - what if I get sick? What if I have a heart attack or whatever? I also get anxious when traffic get's really busy and when you hear dozens of planes around you on the frequency but have a very little idea where exactly are they and what's their intention. I'm based in an airfield that's quite prone in being cut off by sudden sea fog or low cloud, that adds to the stress..

My method in dealing with anxiety is quite simple - I try to keep myself as busy as I can. Writing logs, looking at charts, scanning, planning, playing around with VORs or whatever else. Focusing on a task really helps. The worst anxiety attacks I've had have happened when I'm up there and I'm doing nothing. If all else fails, I can always grab my phone and start making pictures. It works

Anyone else experienced this or should I go seek help?