PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fairey Firefly at Duxford
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2003, 04:34
Buster the Bear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They let me out to attend the Legends on Sunday.

I was horrfied that there was no mention of the loss of life that had occured the previous day. I had seen the Firefly heading east from my vantage point on its way to Duxford on Saturday at around 3000ft, it crossed the M1 close to Jct 12 at Toddington.

The show passed off without a hitch, but a few moments reflecting on the Firefly crash and remembering the 2 crew who gave thier lives for the gratification of the public, I am sure, would have been welcomed by all at the show, most of whom had either witnessed the crash first hand, or more probably seen the events on SKY news.

I sat next to a chap who had witnessed the crash the previous day, he fully expected a tribute to the crew, sadly Duxford decided to sweep the events of Saturday under the carpet.

The camo Westland over the crash site taking photo's was the only indication that a tragedy had occured.

Ironic how the PA voice of the day was full of praise for our lost heros from WW2.

All in all, a very strange reaction from IWM.

Brilliant display and the Wildcat sounds like the noise from my rear end following a fish eating binge! Phut, Phut, Phut!

2 JU52's in formation, what a sight!