PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New MDX - Five Dead Williamtown Never Found
Old 15th Mar 2016, 10:09
LeanOfPeak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Divided we fall...

All,
I read this thread and others bemoaning the state of GA and offer an observation as a mid-life, new-to-aviation PPL.

I begin by disclosing my admiration for both Dick (as a successful businessman and champion of GA) and the personnel of the RAAF (professionals trying to serve to the best of their ability).

Isn't this thread an example of why GA isn't united in getting improvements?
To use an annoying phrase, we are "playing the man, not the ball".
I sense broad agreement that allowing planning (in all circumstances) and overflight (except when specific activity requires) of Williamtown airspace at a reasonable level for GA (above 5,000 say) would be a great improvement.

If we could unite behind that; I reckon we stand a chance of a change (fresh eyed optimism maybe). If we attack each other on the way we each try to advance that cause, we have no hope (even with fresh eyed optimism).
One successful unified victory could begin to build momentum and the GA community may stop looking so hopeless to so many of you.

To get a change made; different messages will resonate with different audiences. We need people who can speak to the rule-makers in calm and logical language about the benefits, risks and practicalities of a proposal. We also need as much public support and visibility as possible (there are politicians involved ultimately who know more about being elected than aviation). I believe Dick's use of this accident is a way to explain to the public what we are trying to say; whether or not it had a bearing on the crash, it is a lightning-rod of interest around which we can get interest from voters.
Planning my first ever YSBK to YBAF flight recently, I found myself wishing for a fifth option:
- plan low level coastal (love Victor 1, but prefer height when available)
- plan inland route (low-ish, narrow-looking path just screaming out VCA to me)
- wait until the day of the flight in the hope RA was inactive and I could file over the top) or
- my eventual choice (like the accident flight), high and simple but inland over nasty terrain

Why can't we back each other, use the skills we all have in different areas of influence and actually try getting just one win on the board?

LoP
(waiting to be shot down by someone for my doe-eyed ignorance or told about Hicks, fire services at Ballina or the reason one member of our GA community won't ever support another one)