PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WHY are some appealing aircraft now so cheap
Old 15th Mar 2016, 03:01
vector4fun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I am missing something, please enlighten me
Parts prices and availability for some of the limited production, higher end airplanes are getting ridiculous, even here in the States. If you own something common like the Cessna 150/172/182 or Piper PA28 series, there were tens of thousands made, and aftermarket or serviceable salvage parts are still available, but costs are still going up. I've owned my C172 for 10 years, but some of the bits I purchased a decade ago have doubled in price.

If you own something less common you may be limited to only one or two suppliers, and the price is "How much you got?", if it's even available within the next six months. John Frank, of the Cessna Pilot's Association has even gone so far as to say that some models are going to be extremely difficult to find parts for in a few years.

You can buy a Bonanza for $50,000 U.S., but if an inspections finds some corrosion, and the 30 yr old engine starts making metal, you can spend more than the purchase price trying to get it out of the shop.

Of course, if they get cheap enough, you can then buy two or three, and keep the others as parts donors.