PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2016, 15:12
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 433 Likes on 228 Posts
I've kept quiet about this so far but what a total wasteful farce this has turned out to be. As a cadet some forty five years ago I was lucky enough to be allowed a gliding scholarship course and went solo at a very young age. That set me on my way to becoming a professional pilot. At one time I was also the Air Cadet Liaison Officer at a certain helicopter base. Later, my daughter became a senior ATC cadet. Unfortunately, in her four years with the organisation she only had the opportunity to fly once (let's not forget other problems with propellers coming off Tutor aircraft, also seat harness problems). Thinking I could give something back, I volunteered my services as an erstwhile gliding instructor. However, It quickly became obvious to me how things were rapidly going downhill with the organisation. I spoke to some other instructors (other professional pilots) who were already very disillusioned and sadly decided it really had little future for me. How right I was. What a shame for the organisation and for the kids who no longer have the same opportunities we had years ago in what was then a supposedly impoverished Great Britain.